Do you want to improve your German language skills, or learn an exotic language,
or maybe just practice for a presentation in a foreign language with a native speaker?
The IGA is offering a new service for doctoral candidates in Freiburg:
a language tandem search service.
What is a language tandem? – a “self-help group” of sorts.
Two doctoral candidates share their native language with each other and help each other improve their foreign language skills.
It is immediately apparent what advantages a language tandem between doctoral candidates can have:
• You can practice your oral skills as well as your written skills;
• you are in a similar (life) situation as your tandem partner;
• it is also possible to engage in academic discussions related to your dissertation;
• the tandem could lead to joint projects;
• tandems promote interpersonal communication (you are not alone in the lab, in front of your computer, with books, etc.).
How does it work?
• If you are interested in a language tandem, just fill out the registration form (click and scroll down for english version) and send it back to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can download the registration form here.
• We’ll let you know by e-mail as soon as we’ve found a tandem partner for you so you can contact him or her directly.
• Now you can plan your tandem together: discuss goals, working styles, and areas you need practice in and arrange a place and time that works for both of you. In some cases, you might be able to reserve a room at the IGA for your first meeting.
We wish you fun and success with your language tandem!
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or problems.
Your contact for the language tandem search service is David Willmes.